StyleLife: Windows 8X
You might remember a few months ago I was gratefully given the opportunity to join the Verizon Wireless Ambassadors and review the Samsung Galaxy III. Well thanks to Verizon, I am continuing in the ambassador program and was recently given an HTC Windows 8x phone to try out and review. After two weeks using the device, here are my initial reactions to the new technology:
1. The sleek and slim design, along with the beautiful bright blue color, is perfect for a fashion-forward gal like myself and I love that the device is light and small. One of my biggest complaints of the Galaxy was the size was awkward for my small hands and actually caused some wrist and thumb pain with overuse.
2. Having gone from the iPhone to Android and now Windows, I feel I have tested the gamut of platforms. I love the ability to pin my favorite apps to the homescreen and change the sizing of the tiles for apps I use frequently. The resolution on the screen is also bright and easy to read.
3. The Beats by Dre technology means that the music quality is superb. It’s great for running and the sound is better than any device I have tried.
1. The Windows Marketplace is very limited. While I was able to find substitutes for twitter, facebook and pinterest, I find that I REALLY miss having instagram, flipboard and other organizational apps that I use on other devices.
2. I find the buttons to turn the device on (or wake it up) and volume buttons to be incredibly hard to press. I would love the ability to press the Windows “home” button to wake the device up.
3. Perhaps it is operator error (likely) but I cannot seem to take a crisp and clear photo with the camera. It is equipped with both a front and rear-facing camera, but every photo I have taken is blurry.
One thing I have loved about both devices is the ability to use them as a wifi hotspot. I am on the road A LOT, and being able to connect my laptop via my device is AMAZING. This really came in handy during our recent holiday travels all over the state! And when I really wanted to use flipboard to keep up with my favorite blogs, I just connected my ipad to the hotspot.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Verizon Wireless Ambassador program and have been provided with a wireless device and three months of service in exchange for my honest opinions about the product.